Us Open Tomas Berdych after a heavy victory over Kuznetsov St. Petersburg talked about his injury, hockey, Davis Cup and much more.
Last year, Tomas Berdych left disappointed from St. Petersburg, losing in the opening match of the Italian Bolelli – 6: 7, 4: 6. This too was a high probability that he would leave with nothing, as held the first tournament after an injury, because he has not played in the US Open. Nevertheless, the Czech won a labor victory over Andrei Kuznetsov.
After the match, Tomas talked to media representatives, among whom was the special correspondent of “Championship”. He spoke about the last fight, recovering from injury, watching the World Cup in hockey, working with Ivanisevic and many other things.
– Tomas, the last tournament you played in Cincinnati, then missed the US Open. How you feel right now after a long pause, given that today’s match was prolonged?
– Yes, I had a difficult time, I have not played for a long time, there were some problems. Now I can say that I went through this period, I feel good, I’m glad to have won their first match in the tournament. Everything is good, the only thing missing is just competitive practices.
– Taking into account the health problems was an option that you could not come to St. Petersburg?
– Yes, the first forecast was disappointing. They said that even if everything will be ok with health, I will be able to start games only at the beginning of next season. But then everything went much better, my body now feeling well. I am glad that I am here, was able to come here – to come back to this tournament.
– Do you expect that there will be a hard match today and by what, in your opinion, you managed to win in the decisive tie-break?
– In fact, I knew that the match will be difficult, especially after what I went through. I did not really know in what form will the last two weeks. I was just trying to get out on the court and play our game, to show good tennis and stay. With regard to the tie-break and difficult match, I expected it. As I said on court, with me playing a talented opponent. It offers a bright future, a bright future. But in the tiebreaker affected some small details. The experience helped me to take a little different position on the court. There’s just one or two goals, I played a little differently – not as he expected from me. It helped me a lot.
– You have recently started collaborating with Goran Ivanisevic. What are the first impressions of this work? And that, as you hope it can bring to your game?
– I am very pleased that Goran Ivanisevic went to work in my coaching team. Once I have had health problems and I was able to start training again, satisfied with our cooperation. I like his approach to work. He tries not to complicate the process of making everything simple. He’s trying to find me a good portion of the game, based on which to build all my tennis. I think that as we continue to cooperate, with time, he will share with me their valuable experience that he accumulated when he was an active player, including when he won his “helmet” (Uimbldon-2001. – Note “Championship”)..
– We know that you are an ardent hockey fan. Will today to watch the final match against the Czech Republic at the World Cup in Canada? How to comment on the performance of your team in this tournament?
– Yes, I’m a hockey fan. Not to say that our team is too cool to speak at this event (even in case of a victory over the US team today Czechs will not go into the playoffs -. Note ‘Championship. “). In addition, due to the difference in time I did not have a chance to watch a match televised live. What can I say? This is a sport, an athlete myself and I know what the voltage needs every kind of sport, including hockey. I can only wish them the best. As for tonight’s game, I do not know when it will be broadcast. Apparently, I’m back to this show not make it.
– For many years, the first time you missed the “Grand Slam” tournament. With what feelings you have followed the US Open? Does it look? Do you miss the tennis? Do you get even more enjoyment from the game?
– Indeed, I missed this “helmet” is with me for the first time in 13 years. The first matches I was not looking, because he was in the hospital and slept during the day only. But then I looked at a couple of matches, and the ending, that is final. Overall, it was a sad feeling that I was not there. As for the second part of your question – yes, indeed, now every match for me – it’s a bonus. I enjoy the game, because in theory I could not be here.
– Today was held the draw for the Davis Cup. Czech Republic will play in the first round on a visit to Australia. How do you assess the chances of your team, given that this is the beginning of February and after the Australian Open will not have to leave? Will yourself to play this match? And when the Czech national team will return to the top of the old, given that you double became winners of the tournament – in 2012 and in 2013?
– I find it hard to answer the first part of your question. I have just learned from you about a lot. It is necessary to sit, think, I did not know whether to stay ready after the tournament “Grand Slam” in Australia. I can not tell you. As for the future of the Czech Republic, this is a very difficult competition, which requires the full commitment of the players, and for the victory all the more necessary even more effort. I want to remind you that we have with Radek Stepanek are approaching the final part of our career, it will end soon, so I think that we need to wait for some number of years, when the Czech national team fit fresh forces.